Sunday, June 26, 2011

Mom's Blueberry Buckle Recipe

Every summer Mom would go outside and return with a treasure of blueberries and whip up her delicious Blueberry Buckle for dessert. That is if we could wait until dinner was over. Usually not, Dad would eye up and seize the corner piece and go eat it in the livingroom while watching the Yankees game.


Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour a square pan, 9 x 9 x 2 inches or a 9 x 1 1/2 inche round pan.

1/2 c sugar
1/4 salt
1/4 c shortening ( I prefer to use non-hydrogentated shortening.)
1/4 c milk
1 egg

2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder

2 c blueberries *fresh or frozen)
2 tbls flour

Cream together wet ingredients then stir in dry. Toss Blueberries in 2 tablespoons for flour. (this helps keep the blueberries from settling to the bottom of the cake.) Carefully fold blueberries into batter.

for topping
1/2 c sugar
1/3 c flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c butter
1/2 cup chopped nuts optional

mix until crumbly and sprinkle over batter

bake 45 to 50 min  in a preheated oven at 375 degrees until Toothpick comes out clean.

Chop nuts set aside ( optional )


I mix crumb topping and place if fridge or freezer while I prepare batter. This is so the butter doesn't get too warm. Warm butter melts too fast crumb topping won't be as crumby..Crumby is good.

Whisk together wet ingredients then mix in dry.

Toss blueberries in flour then fold into batter.

Grease and flour baking pan, my Nana always marked a cross on the center of her pan, my Mom continued the tradition and so do I. 
Folding in Blueberries.


Sprinkle crumb topping over batter.

 Bake as directed above and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite summer treat made by Mom. I never was a good berry picker. I'd get bored and eat more than I put in my bucket :)

    ReplyDelete