- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups thinly vertically sliced Vadelia Onions
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 32 oz low-sodium beef broth ( I didn't have Beef Broth so I used Chicken Broth and added 1 packet of Beef Bouillon)
- French bread, 1-2 slices per serving, toasted and cut into 1-inch cubes
- shredded Mozzarella cheese. ( I use the pre-shredded pizza blend mix with a variety of cheeses in it)
- Sea Salt as needed.
In a Large pot, heat olive oil. Saute onions in oil until tender. (About 10 minutes) Add pepper, wine, broth and heat to a boil. Taste and add Sea Salt if needed. ((( With Sea Salt be patient and allow time for it to melt and taste-taste-taste. If you don't wait, you may over salt your food))). (Learned this on Top Chef Masters)
Once soup is heated through and seasoned to taste, ladle the soup into large mugs or heavy bowls. Make sure they are oven-proof if you are going to broil the cheese.
Top with the toasted bread cubes, top with shredded cheese and place under broiler to melt and brown the cheese.
if you don't like the bread in the soup, it can be served on the side too for dipping!