Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mexican Rice

Adapted from http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=117878
 Mexican Rice

12 ounces chopped tomatoes.( I used 2 cups of my homemade salsa you can also used canned dice tomatoes)
1 medium vadelia onion chopped
1 - 3 oz chillies.
1/4 olive oil
4  grated garlic cloves
2 cups chicken broth I use organic.
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
1 lime
Jalepeno if you want heat... I opted no Heat .
( the original recipe called for 1 1/2 tsp salt. I didn't add any salt and it wasn't missed)

preheat oven to 350.

Process tomato, garlic and onion in processor or blender until pureed and thoroughly smooth. ( I use my handy stick blender).


Place rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water until water runs clear-
Heat oil in heavy bottomed ovensafe 12 inch straight sided sautee pan or Dutch oven with tight fitting lid over medium high heat about 2 minutes. (I used my cast iron Dutch oven. before I placed into the oven I  covered in foil before placing the lid on to insure a good seal ) Drop a few rice grains in and if they sizzle then it is ready. Add rice and fry stirring until rice is light golden and translucent, about 6-8 minutes.

Reduce heat to medium Stir in broth, pureed mixture,tomato paste. Increase heat to medium high, and bring to a boil.

Cover pan  in foil, place lid on top and transfer pan to oven to bake until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 40-45  minutes.Stir well after 15 minutes.

Stir in cilantro and squeeze lime just before servicing.  If you like spice, you can also finely mince a jalepeno and add to the rice before baking or at the end before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment